Networking Beats Not Working
Before I got my realtors license I ran a chamber of commerce for 7 years, and truly learned the benefits of networking that I practice now to keep my name out there. You really just MAKE FRIENDS, sometimes you meet people with other services YOU need, like a printer/sign maker, a tax preparer, even a restaurant manager! The value of knowing people is PRICELESS.
- Have business cards in your pockets, in your car; have your best friend and your significant other carry your cards too.
- Practice a simple intro for yourself; not a speech, just an intro. “Hi, I’m Kathy Burbank; I’m a licensed realtor with CM Fox Real Estate.”
- Have a name tag for events!!!
- Stand at the doorway if you don’t know anyone and greet people as they come in; it’s fun and they don’t know if you are a host, employee or what!
- Buddy system—we feel braver when we have a buddy, others feel more comfortable approaching you.
Join a chamber, local business association, PTA…anything local that is in your comfort level and starts to get you out there. Let them take you in, show you around, introduce you—trust me, they love it. Don’t talk about work; ask about family, where they live, kids, dogs.
Also, look on websites for business events, especially BREAKFASTS, and bring your buddy for the first few. Breakfasts are safer, less open talking, you get your food and sit down and there is usually a program. Also go to community events, or try a vendor expo/fair.
Join a leads group (business people who meet regularly, usually through chambers) and go to every meeting. I not only get clients, I get trusted sources for attorneys, appraisers, mortgage folks and more…I have people that respond back to me or my client immediately. Again, PRICELESS.
Want some real world examples from me? I met my broker and current company through networking, I met my “go to” attorney, home inspector and junk hauler through a leads group, I have gotten many clients from continually going to things where they talk to me and trust me, AND I have a promotional products guy I met through a board of directors I am on who helps me all the time!!!! PRICELESS!!!
–Written By: Kathy Burbank